100-Day Countdown to the 2018 Special Olympics USA Games in Seattle Begins on Friday, March 23
SEATTLE – This Friday, March 23, a series of city-wide lighting activations and photo/video opportunities will mark the 100-day countdown to Seattle’s biggest event of the year: the 2018 Special Olympics USA Games (SpecialOlympicsUSAGames.org). The 2018 USA Games kick off on Sunday, July 1, with the Opening Ceremony at Husky Stadium, and continue through Friday, July 6. Seattle will host more than 4,000 Special Olympics athletes and coaches from all 50 states and the District of Columbia for the 2018 USA Games.
Mascots and cheerleaders from Seattle sports teams and universities will gather for a celebratory photo shoot to commemorate the 100-day countdown.
When: Friday, March 23; 12:00-12:30 p.m. **rain or shine**
Where: Gasworks Park; 2101 N Northlake Way, Seattle
Who: Moose from the Seattle Mariners
Talon from Seattle Pacific University
Blitz from the Seattle Seahawks
Boom from the Seattle Seahawks
Rucky from the Seattle Seawolves
Doppler from the Seattle Storm
The University of Washington Spirit Squad
Beginning Friday evening, March 23, and continuing through the weekend, iconic buildings and landmarks across Seattle and the Eastside will light up in purple, the primary color of the 2018 USA Games:
- 505 Union Station in the International District
- The Allen Institute in South Lake Union
- CenturyLink Field
- Columbia Center
- Microsoft campuses on the Eastside
- The Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI)
- Russell Investments Center – In addition to the purple lights, don’t miss the special USA Games lighting display on the west side of the building which will be best viewed from Elliott Bay.
- The Seattle Great Wheel
- The Spheres at Amazon HQ
- The SR 520 Bridge sentinels on the east and west sides of the bridge
- Two Union Square on Sixth Avenue between Union and University Streets
- The W Hotel in downtown Seattle
- The Westin Seattle
- Beginning March 23 and continuing through July 5, Microsoft will fly a banner and Special Olympics USA Games flags throughout its Eastside campuses.
- Starbucks will raise the Special Olympics USA Games flag atop its headquarters building in SoDo.
# # #
Jaymelina Esmele, 2018 Special Olympics USA Games
(206) 900-9490, x115